- July 2010 (1)
- March 2010 (2)
- February 2010 (1)
- January 2010 (1)
- December 2009 (2)
- March 2009 (1)
- October 2008 (2)
- September 2008 (1)
- News (11)
Modesto Irrigation District Deploys Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management to Support SMART Meter Pr
Modesto Irrigation District Deploys Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management to Support SMART Meter Program
Smart Meters Allow Utility Trucks to Drive 200,000 Fewer Miles Annually to Reduce Carbon Emissions
DISTRIBUTECH, Tampa, Fla. – March 23, 2010
· Modesto Irrigation District (MID), a multi-service utility serving more than 100,000 residential, commercial and industrial customers in California, has deployed Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management to support its SMART meter program. Nearly complete, the project involves replacing every residential and commercial electric meter with advanced digital smart meters. With Oracle as the backbone, the system will provide MID with real-time data.
· The Oracle solution facilitates meter messaging, reads and validations. It interfaces with various types of automated metering infrastructure (AMI) systems and meters used by MID, providing real-time usage data and the ability to disconnect or reconnect meters. The energy usage data collected through smart meters will be used for future time-of-use rate design, as well as for automated distribution outage detection and troubleshooting.
· As a result of reading smart meters remotely, MID will drive more than 200,000 fewer miles each year, spending less money on gasoline and cutting carbon and other harmful air pollutants.
· In October, the U.S. Department of Energy announced that MID was one of only six California utilities selected to receive a $1.5 million Federal stimulus grant to support MID’s efforts to install smart control equipment throughout its electric infrastructure. The project is expected to reduce system-wide energy use and deliver cost savings that can be passed to its customers.
· “Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management provides us with a centralized data management system to support our SMART meter initiative, which will help us in the future to share the data necessary to empower our customers to effectively monitor and manage their energy usage,” said Tom Kimball, assistant general manager for transmission and distribution, Modesto Irrigation District.
· “Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management provides utilities, like Modesto Irrigation District, with modern infrastructure to support smart grid and green initiatives. The application helps utilities’ consumers to monitor their usage – and make smart energy choices,” said Stephan Scholl, senior vice president and general manager, Oracle Utilities.
About Oracle Utilities
Oracle Utilities delivers proven software applications that help utilities of all types and sizes achieve competitive advantage, business performance excellence and a lower total cost of technology ownership. Oracle Utilities integrates industry-specific customer care and billing, network management, work and asset management, mobile workforce management and meter data management applications with the capabilities of Oracle’s industry-leading enterprise applications, business intelligence tools, middleware and database technologies. The software enables customers to adapt more nimbly to market deregulation, meet ever-evolving customer demands and deliver on environmental conservation commitments. Additionally, Oracle Utilities helps utilities prepare for smart metering and smart grid initiatives that enhance efficiency and provide critical intelligence metrics that can help drive more-informed energy and water usage decisions for consumers and businesses. For more information, visit www.oracle.com/goto/utilities.
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) is the world's most complete, open, and integrated business software and hardware systems company. For more information about Oracle, visit oracle.com
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Modesto Irrigation District licensed Oracle Utilities Meter Data Management in FY09.
Caroline Yu Vespi Janice Hazen
Oracle O’Keeffe & Company
+1 650 506 8920 +1 770 9384753